Pea and Vanilla Cake
This recipe has been viewed 955 times
We all know the sweetness of peas, and in this cake the pea flavour fades beneath the vanilla, marrying nicely with the zing of the lemon buttercream. In its wake the peas leave their moist
green vegetable goodness, nutrients and vitamins.
Wrapped in a blanket of cake.
- Preheat the oven to 160c/325f. Grease and line two 9” cake pans (or three 6” pans, as i did in the pictures).
- Boil the peas for a few minutes, drain, refresh under cold water and puree until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then beat in the cooled pea puree, vanilla, zest and lemon juice.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to gently combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, push to the edges and level, then bake for 25 minutes.
- Or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the tins and then turn
- Onto a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add in the icing sugar and beat.
- Beat in the zest and a little of the lemon juice. Add more lemon juice to make it a frosting consistency and beat again. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Spread a little of the buttercream between the layers of the completely cooled cakes and sandwich together.
- Cover the cake in the remaining buttercream and decorate with pea shoots and lemon zest.
This recipe was contributed by supriya006 on 24 Feb 2016
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.