Pavakkai Pitla-(karela Curry)
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9363 times
Pavakkai Pitla-(Karela Curry) is a delicious preparation of bitter gourd and different types of dals. Goes well with Dahi based dishes.
- First boil the tur dal in a pressure cooker
- Cut karela into small pieces and put them in salt water. after 4/5 mts, squeeze and fry in 1/2 tsp oil ,for 2-3 mts.
- Make a thick pulp of tamarind,add the lightly fried karela, turmeric,salt, jaggery, and boil well.
- Meanwhile grind the ingredients for frying along with 1/2 cup coconut to a coarse paste.
- When the raw smell of tamarind disappears, add the cooked tur dal and the ground coconut paste.
- Simmer till it comes to a boil.
- Remove from fire.season with mustard,udid dal, curry leaves and a tsp of coconut fried to a golden brown colour.
This recipe was contributed by sudhak90 on 14 Dec 2006
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.