Pav Bhaji ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 67 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43692 times
Your children will be unable to hold back the delight that wells up in the hearts when they see Mumbai’s favourite street food, Pav Bhaji, packed with mom’s love in their tiffin box! In fact, this element of surprise adds to the taste of this all-time favourite snack.
With loads of veggies, sprouts and tongue-tickling pav bhaji masala, the bhaji is a perfect match for butter-roasted ladi pav. Cool the bhaji and the pav completely and pack them as suggested in the recipe, to ensure that they remain fresh and tasty at lunch time.
Pack some Mint Chaas in a thermos flask, to cool off after the chatpata Pav Bhaji treat.
- Soak the red chillies in enough warm water in a bowl for atleast an hour.
- Drain the chillies, add the garlic and blend in a mixer till smooth, adding 2 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil and 1 tbsp of butter in a non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add 2 tbsp of chilli-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while mashing it with the back of the spoon.
- Add the potatoes, moong sprouts, green peas, coriander, ½ cup of water and remaining 1 tbsp of butter, mix well and cook the ladi pavs on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes and mash well using a potato masher, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- Slit all the ladi pavs and apply a little butter evenly on them.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook on a medium flame till they turn light brown and crisp on both the sides.
- Allow the pav and the bhaji to cool completely, and pack them in separate air-tight tiffin boxes.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.