by Janani G Vikram
Added to 9 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5238 times
A spicy, soupy dish that can be enjoyed by itself or mixed with rice.
- Dry roast each ingredient separately till completely dry.
- Grind all ingredients together and store powder in an airtight bottle. Keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of water for around 1/2 hour. Squeeze it well and extract the juice. Dilute with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, pressure cook the dal with enough water and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mash the dal well and keep aside.
- In a deep pan, add the 2 cups of tamarind water, tomatoes, rasam powder, and asafoetida powder and bring to boil.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes till the rasam reduces to ¾ of its original quantity.
- Now add the remaining cups of water and cooked dal and mix well.
- When a foamy layer starts forming on the rasam, add the seasoning and cook for few minutes and remove from the flame.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the tempering over the rasam.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
This recipe was contributed by Janani G Vikram on 13 Oct 2011I am a technically-qualified freelance writer, editor and hands-on mom based in Bengaluru. I write o...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.