Papite Ke Kofte
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38693 times
Papaya is not just a treasure-trove of nutrients but an irresistibly tasty food too. Whether raw or ripe, it finds use in many dishes ranging from salads to subzis .
But, have you ever tried making koftas with raw papaya? Try it once and it will soon become your first choice for making kofta, always. Here, grated raw papaya held together by mashed potatoes is made into crisp deep-fried koftas that are mixed into a sumptuous gravy that is rich, creamy and tangy too!
Try other kofta variants like Makai Kofta in Hariyali Curry and Saagwala Cheese Kofta .
- Squeeze the papaya till all the water drains out. Transfer the papaya into a deep bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few koftas at a time, on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in deep non-stick pan, add the cashewnuts and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the cashewnuts, drain out the oil and blend them to a smooth paste using approx. 1 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the same deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and green chilli and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the coriander powder, chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared cashewnut paste, garam masala, fresh cream, salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly, discard the green chilli and blend lightly using a hand blender to a coarse mixture. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, re-heat the gravy, add the koftas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.