Paneer and Broken Wheat Patties in Whole Wheat Pita Pocket
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 129 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26451 times
Whole wheat pita pockets stuffed with innovative and nutrient-packed patties made of paneer and broken wheat, and laced with a tangy dressing, this is a nourishing, filling and exotic snack! The use of whole wheat flour and broken wheat for preparing Nutritious Patties in Whole Wheat Pita Pockets ensures a good dose of fibre, while vitamin A rich carrot, and calcium and protein rich paneer help in growth and development of bones. Although a bit time consuming, this exciting and nutritious snack is worth a try as it spans all food groups.
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar, 3 tbsp of lukewarm water and the plain flour in a small bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine the wheat flour, salt and the yeast mixture in a bowl and knead into a soft dough until the dough is smooth and elastic, using enough water.
- Add the oil and knead again.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it prove till it doubles in volume (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion into a circle of 150 mm. (6") oblong shape using plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it on a medium flame for 1 minute on each side.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cut the pita bread into 2 halves.
- Repeat step 7 to 10 to make 10 more pita breads. Keep aside.
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Heat 1 cup of water in a deep pan, add the broken wheat and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Strain the excess water using a strainer.
- Combine all the ingredients including the broken wheat in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into a round flat patty.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly using ¼ tsp of oil.
- Cook each patty on a medium flame, using ¼ tsp of oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, warm the pita bread halves on a non-stick tava (griddle).
- Fill each pita bread halve with 2 to 3 tomato slices some lettuce, one patty and a tbsp of the dressing on top.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per pita pocket
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.