Panchmel Dal ( Jain)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 115 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31111 times
As you will see from this recipe, exotic dal recipes can be prepared authentically without using onions or ginger, which are often considered by many as must-have ingredients for a dal-based dish. In this traditional recipe, five wholesome dals are used together with whole spices, tangy tamarind and a unique masala water to make a tongue-tickling dish! Dissolving the spice powders in water before sautéing them with the tempering ensures that the spices get uniformly mixed, and also gives a strong aroma to the dish. Enjoy the Panchmel Dal hot and fresh with your favourite roti.
Add your private note
Panchmel Dal ( Jain) recipe - How to make Panchmel Dal ( Jain)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 6 servings
- Combine the dals, 4 cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the bay leaves, cloves, cumin seeds and asafetida and green chillies.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the prepared masala water and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal, dried mango powder, tamarind pulp and little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with naan or paratha.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.