by Tarla Dalal
Added to 277 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20481 times
Some traditional preparations have a timeless appeal, and this ever-popular Gujarati subzi is a typical example. Made of five different vegetables, aromatic and flavourful methi muthia, common spices and other everyday ingredients like green chillies, ginger and coconut, the Panchkutyu Shaak is a semi-dry subzi that offers myriad flavours and textures to delight your taste buds. The generous use of coriander, coconut and fenugreek-based muthia gives the subzi a pleasant green colour and traditional flavour typical of grandma’s cooking.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using very little water.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into small cylindrical rolls.
- Heat the oil in a deep-stick kadhai and deep-fry the muthias at a time on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida. All the vegetables, 1½ cups of water, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste and coriander-cumin seeds powder, mix well and cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander, coconut, sugar and prepared muthias, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||247.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||5.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.