Added to 52 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 41156 times
Panchamrut is a dish with a holy connotation, in the sense that it is offered to God during most pujas. Different regions and communities prepare different versions of panchamrut – some with milk products, some with fruits and honey, and so on.
Here is the spicy Maharashtrian version, which is part of the traditional puja thali, and also served as an accompaniment in a traditional Maharashtrian wedding lunch.
It is like a sweet and sour chutney, with varied ingredients ranging from jaggery to tamarind, crushed nuts and seeds, and dry fruits too. Spice powders like chilli powder and goda masala are used to give a spicy touch to the recipe.
Here is the authentic method of preparing this popular Maharashtrian accompaniment. We are sure you will love it. As a variant, you can also use chopped capsicum to lend the required spiciness, instead of chilli powder.
Panchamrut is served on special occassions like Ganesh Chaturthi and Gudi Padwa as an accompaniment to a typical Maharashtrian thali consisting of Maharashtrian Bhaji, Maharashtrian Rotis / Polis, Maharashtrian Dal, Varan / Amti / Kalvan, Maharashtrian Bhaat (Rice) and Maharashtrian Sweet Dishes
Enjoy how to make Panchamrut recipe with detailed step by step photos and video.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and sauté on a slow flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and sauté on a slow flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and sauté on a slow flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and sauté on a slow flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the tamarind pulp, chilli powder, raisins, cashewnuts, jaggery and 1/4 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till the jaggery melts.
- Add the peanut powder, dry coconut, sesame seeds powder and ½ cup of water, goda masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||317.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.9 mg|
|Vitamin C||93.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.