Palak Masoor Dal ( Baby and Toddler)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20381 times
The ever-popular combo of greens and dal makes this a very nourishing dish to serve your child. Onions add a mild crunch to the Palak Masoor Dal, while ginger-garlic paste and a moderate amount of spice powders impart an appealing flavour to it.
After all, your child is becoming choosy now, and will also seek dishes that please the taste buds! So, we need to pay attention to taste as well. What’s more, this delicious dal also scores high on the nutrient chart.
Spinach is rich in vitamin A, essential for healthy eyes and skin, as well as iron, which is essential for building haemoglobin, while masoor dal is a good source of protein, an important building block of the body.
- Combine the masoor dal and ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal, mash well with a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve lukewarm.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per cup
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.