Palak Chola Dal Idli ( Microwave Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 38 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27453 times
Idli has always been lauded as a healthy breakfast option, since it is a steamed food made of protein-rich and energy giving ingredients like urad dal and rice. Here is a strikingly different idli, made with completely different ingredients. Palak and chola complement each other in terms of flavour and colour. Sometimes, certain ingredients add a lot of value to a recipe even if used in minuscule quantities-lemon juice is like that! actually, the batter itself looks so interesting that you might be tempted to dip your fingers in even before you cook the idlis. We suggest cooking only four idlis at a time to ensure that they are evenly cooked. Serve with chutney and sambhar, for a wholesome meal.
- Combine the dal, spinach and lemon juice along with ½ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the mixture in a bowl, add the ginger-green chilli paste and salt and mix well.
- Grease the microwave safe idli moulds and keep aside.
- Add the water in the microwave safe idli steamer and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile add the fruit salt to the idli batter and mix gently.
- Divide the batter into 16 equal portions and pour 4 portions into 4 greased idli moulds.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 to make 12 more idlis in 3 more batches.
- Serve immediately.
- Reheat the water in the idli mould after each batch.
- To get soft and evenly cooked idlis, ensure that you cook only 4 at a time.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.