Orange Gateau ( Cakes and Pastries)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 58 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29380 times
An aesthetic gateau laced with the tanginess of orange and whipped cream.
Add your private note
Orange Gateau ( Cakes and Pastries) recipe - How to make Orange Gateau ( Cakes and Pastries)
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time: Total Time:
Makes 1 gateau
- Slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 equal parts. Keep aside.
- Combine the sugar syrup and orange drink powder in a bowl to make the soaking syrup and keep aside.
- Soak the bottom layer of the sponge cake with 1/2 the soaking syrup.
- Spread 3/4 cup of whipped cream on the soaked layer of the cake and sprinkle the orange rind and oranges on top.
- Sandwich with the second layer of the sponge cake.
- Soak the second layer of the cake with the remaining soaking syrup and spread the remaining whipped cream evenly on top and at the sides.
- Transfer the cake onto a cake boards and refrigerate for 20 minutes to set.
- Mix together 2 tbsp of whipped cream, orange colour and orange drink powder to make the orange cream and put the cream in a piping bag fitted with a plain round nozzle. Keep aside.
- Put more 2 tbsp of whipped cream in another piping bag fitted with a plain round nozzle and keep aside.
- Place the cake on a turntable and run a pastry comb along the sides.
- Fill a disposable piping bag (fitted with a no. 5 star nozzle) with the remaining whipped cream and make a shell border at the base of the cake. To do this, fill a piping bag with the whipped cream and squeeze it to allow the cream to fan out generously– do not lift the bag.
- Gradually relax your pressure as you lower the tip until it touches the surface. Stop pressure and pull the tip away, without lifting it off the surface, to draw the shell to a point. Start the end of your next shell so that the fanned end covers the tail of the preceding shell to form and even chain. Keep the piping bag aside.
- Using the same piping bag make a spring border along the edges of the chocolate fans. To do this hold the piping bag at 45 degrees and squeeze it gently to allow the cream to come out evenly. Move your hand in a circular motion to get a spiral design till you again reach the point that you started.
- Pipe out straight lines on the upper surface using the orange cream and whipped cream alternatively. To do this hold the piping bad at an angle of 45 degrees and pipe out a straight line while squeezing using uniform pressure.
- Using the same piping bag make continuous swirls along the top of the cake. To do this: hold the piping bag in your hand and move your wrist anti-clockwise while applying gentle pressure. Finish the circle and gently lift it in a single motion to form a peak. Repeat throughout the rim of the cake.
- Peel and separate the segments of the oranges. Using a pairing knife, cut along the edge of each segment.
- Peel off the skin of the oranges and place the orange segments at regular intervals.
- Cut into 6 equal wedges and serve.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.