Oondhiya ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39765 times
A classic Gujarati recipe, Oondhiya, with its exciting mix of veggies and spices, has withstood the test of time and become a hot favourite with many generations of Indians across the world.
A colourful combination of vegetables and fenugreek-flavoured dumplings are cooked with an aromatic masala that features coconut, coriander and assorted spice powders. Enjoy this delicacy hot and fresh, with rotis or rice, to make a hearty meal!
- Combine the fresh vaal, fresh vaal seeds, carom seeds and soda bi-carb, mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients along with little water and mix well to make a smooth mixture.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and shape each portion into an oval shape by rolling it between your palms and fingers.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry muthias a few at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Keep 2 tbsp of the masala aside for stuffing the bananas.
- Stuff the brinjals with a little masala, add all the vegetables including the brinjals to the masala, toss well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad pressure cooker, add the carom seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and again sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the fresh vaal , masala vegetables and fresh vaal seeds.
- Combine ¼ cup of water, salt, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and sugar and mix well.
- Pour this masala water over the vegetables and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cut each banana into 3 pieces and slit them vertically.
- Stuff each banana piece with the remaining masala and keep aside.
- Transfer the oondhiya to a broad non-stick kadhai and add the methi muthias and stuffed bananas.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh green garlic.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.