Onion Tomato Rava Uttapa
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 251 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32479 times
Tasty Onion Tomato Rava Uttapa is a versatile dish that can be made for breakfast or supper, or as an evening snack for kids. Interestingly, this recipe is not a quick-fix that uses soda to rise the batter, nor does it require planning the previous day, as an hour is all that it takes for the semolina batter to ferment, thanks to the quick action of curds. With tangy tomatoes, pungent onions, and the perky combo of coriander and green chillies, this uttapa has all that is to be desired. Serve right off the tava, with freshly-made coriander or coconut chutney.
- Combine the semolina, curds, salt and 1 cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to ferment for 1 hour.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it (it should sizzle immediately) and wipe off using a piece of cloth.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter on the tava (griddle), spread in a circular motion to make a 125 mm. (5") diameter thick circle.
- Pour a little oil on the top and edges and sprinkle ½ tbsp of onions, ½ tbsp. Of tomatoes, ½ tbsp of coriander and ¼ tsp of green chillies evenly over it. Again pour a little oil over it and press it lightly.
- Turn over and cook on the other side till it turns light brown in colour.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 5 more uttapas.
- Serve immediately with coconut chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per uttapa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.