Oats and Spring Onion Appe, Diabetic Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2766 times
Appe is an evergreen South Indian snack made with a batter of rice and urad. The ball-shaped appe tempt the diner with a crispy, golden-coloured surface that gives way to a soft and fluffy centre.
The Oats and Spring Onion Appe is a smart diabetic-friendly variant made with fibre-rich oats instead of high glycemic index rice.
A small tweak is all it takes to keep your blood sugar levels in check. A good amount of spring onions and a dash of pepper give these delicious appe a fabulous flavour and nice mouth-feel. Serve it hot with Sambhar .
- Soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl and keep aside to soak for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Blend the urad dal in a mixer using ¼ cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the oats, spring onions, crushed black pepper and salt and mix very well.
- Heat an appe mould on a medium flame and grease it using ¼ tsp of oil. Pour 1 tbsp of the batter into each mould and cook using ¼ tsp of oil till the lower surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down using a fork so as to cook them from the other side as well.
- Repeat step 4 to make more appes.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per appe
|Vitamin A||5.6 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg|
|Folic Acid||3.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.