Nutritious Vegetable Idli
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 105 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 50867 times
A sneaky way to get your children to eat more greens and fibre is to give them nutritious idlis pepped up with vegetables.
- Dry roast the broken wheat and semolina on a tava (griddle) till they are golden brown in colour. Remove and keep aside in a bowl.
- Dry roast the chana dal and urad dal on a tava (griddle) till they are golden brown in colour. Add ½ cup of water and allow to cook on a slow flame till they are tender.
- Mash the dals lightly and add to the broken wheat and semolina.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and enough lukewarm water to make idli batter. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds to it. When they crackle, add the asafoetida, green chillies and ginger paste.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Add the carrots, french beans, green peas, salt and a little water and cook covered till the vegetables are tender and the mixture is dry.
- Switch off the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 24 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a spoonful of the idli batter into each greased idli mould.
- Place a portion of the vegetable mixture over the idli batter.
- Pour a spoonful of idli batter to cover the stuffing on each idli mould.
- Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 to make more idlis.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.