Non Fried Dahi Vadas
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 298 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 31030 times
As they say, necessity is the mother of invention and this recipe came about because I always ended up binging on dahi vadas and the guilt which followed after a deep fried dahi vada snack was immense. But with this recipe, I realised that without compromising on the taste, I could make almost zero fat dahi vadas using a sandwich toaster. This recipe however works better using moong dal as compared to urad dal and the addition of a little Eno’s fruit salt makes the dahi vadas soft and spongy. Keep the prepared dahi vadas soaked in water and drain them out just before serving. Top with low fat curds and go ahead eat as much as you can!
- Clean, wash and soak the green moong dal for 3 to 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Add the green chillies and blend in a mixer with very little water.
- Add the asafoetida and Eno’s fruit salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick sandwhich toaster and spread 1 teaspoon of the mixture in each cavity. Close and heat. When ready, the mixture will be toasted into pieces of triangular shape.
- Remove the toasted pieces and soak them in water for 20 minutes. Thereafter, squeeze out the water and arrange the vadas on a plate.
- Whisk the curds with the salt.
- To prepare the tempering, heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds for 1/2 minute. Add the green chillies and asafoetida and pour the seasoning over the whisked curds.
- Spread the seasoned curds over the vadas. Sprinkle the cumin powder, chilli powder and coriander on top and serve. If you like, also sprinkle khajur imli ki chutney.
- Add the Eno’s fruit salt just before you are ready to cook the dahi vadas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.