Nataraja Iyer Rasam
by Mathivanan Devadoss
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11277 times
Nataraja iyer rasam is an authentic rasam recipe cooked with tamarind water which is sweetened by jaggery and spiced up with chilies, pepper and garlic. Enjoy tangy, spicy nataraja iyer rasam hot with steamed rice.
- Combine the tamarind pulp with 3 cups water, mix well and strain the mixture and transfer in a deep pan.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chillies, green chillies, asafoetida, jaggery, salt and curry leaves, mix well and bring to boil till the liquid turns to half.
- Meanwhile, combine the pepper and cumin seeds and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder.
- Add this to the tamarind mixture and mix well.
- Add the dal, mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and garlic and saute till garlic turns golden brown.
- Add this to the rasam and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
This recipe was contributed by Mathivanan Devadoss on 11 Oct 2011I am an Indian Chartered Accountant, living in Saudi Arabia working for a bank as AGM.
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.