Added to 91 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18494 times
Slices of grilled brinjals interlaced with a creamy vegetable mixture and a tangy tomato sauce create a delightful combination of delicate flavours in this classic greek favourite.
To cut down on calories, I have used a low calorie white sauce made with a bottle gourd purée instead of using the usual white sauce.
The brinjal, the vegetable layer and the tomato sauce can be prepared in advance to make a hearty meal in no time by just assembling the ingredients and baking them.
Being baked in an oven this dish makes use of very little oil and provides oodles of valuable nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron along with fibre.
Also try other diabetic friendly international recipes like Dalia Vegetable Risotto and Mexican Pita Pockets .
- Apply a little salt on the brinjal slices and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the brinjal slices, a few slices at a time, till both sides are golden brown. Keep aside.
- Boil the bottle gourd in ½ cup of water until soft. Blend in a liquidiser to a smooth purée. (pressure cooking is also faster).
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the garlic, green chilli and celery and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the yellow capsicum, red capsicum, green capsicum, mushrooms and wheat flour and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the prepared bottle gourd purée, milk, mixed herbs and salt and cook till the mixture is thick. Keep aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water.
- Peel, cut into quarters and deseed the tomatoes.
- Chop finely and keep the tomato pulp aside.
- Heat the olive oil, add the bay leaves and peppercorns and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic and capsicum and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the tomato pulp (step 3) and allow it to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce volume reduces a little.
- Add the tomato purée and salt and simmer for some more time.
- Finally add the oregano and mix well. Remove the capsicum, bay leaves and peppercorns and discard. Use as required.
- Arrange half the cooked brinjal slices to form a layer on the base of 150 mm. (6") diameter baking dish.
- Place the vegetable layer over the brinjal slices.
- Top with another layer of brinjal slices.
- Cover with the tomato sauce.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- It is highly recommended that this recipe be relished by diabetics only occasionally and in small quantities. This is just a mere ‘treat’ and does not qualify for a regular diabetic menu.
Nutrient values per serving
|Amt|| 181 gm|
|Energy|| 99 kcal|
|Protein|| 3.4 gm|
|Cho|| 12.2 gm|
|Fat|| 4.2 ngm|
|Vit-A|| 460.6 mcg|
|Vit-C|| 69.2 mg|
|Calcium|| 93.1 mg|
|Iron|| 1.4 mg|
|F.Acid|| 30.8 mcg|
|Fibre|| 1.6 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.