Mount Pleasant Cake ( Eggless Desserts Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 405 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27006 times
Chocolate and coffee are a superb combination, sure to pep up every diner’s spirits. In the mount pleasant cake, a chocolate sponge is sandwiched with rum-flavoured apples and topped with a piping of whipped cream and coffee. Walnut praline is applied on the sides of the cake to give a nice crunchy feel. Although praline takes a bit of time to make, you can make it in advance and store… but it cannot be avoided as it is a very important ingredient for this dessert.
- Combine the apples, cinnamon powder, sugar and 2 tbsp of water in a broad non-stick pan and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the rum and mix well. Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Cool and slice the sponge cake horizontally into 2 equal layers.
- Soak the bottom layer of the sponge cake with ½ the soaking syrup.
- Spread the filling evenly on the soaked layer of the cake using a palate knife.
- Place the top layer of the sponge cake over it and soak it with the remaining soaking syrup.
- Spread 1½ cups of whipped cream evenly on top and at the sides of the cake using a palate knife.
- Combine the remaining ½ cup of whipped cream and coffee powder in a bowl and fold gently. Pipe out a shell border on the circumference of the cake and at the base of the cake.
- Sprinkle the walnut praline on the sides of the cake and refrigerate for 30 minutes or till the whipped cream sets.
- Cut into 6 equal wedges and serve chilled.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per wedge
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.