Moong Dal Mangodi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 51 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 60499 times
Moong Dal Mangodi is a pakoda or wadi like snack made with a batter of soaked and spiced moong dal. The batter is piped out as small pieces, sun-dried and preserved in airtight containers.
On cold winter days in dessert regions like Rajasthan when fresh veggies might not be available, these tasty and nutrient-packed mangodis are deep-fried and added to dishes like dals, pulaos and even subzis like Mangodi ki Dal , Palak Mangodi , Papad Mangodi ki Subzi and Methi Mangodi . Mangodis are not only handy but also super-tasty!
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for for 6 to 8 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind the moong dal to a smooth paste without using any water.
- Add the asafoetida and ginger-green chili paste and mix well.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with plain nozzle and pipe out small dots on a greased thali.
- Keep the mangodis in the sun for 2 days or until the mangodis dry out completely.
- Strore in an air-tight container.
- Use as required.
- You can also pipe the moong dal mixture through a 'chakli' or a thick 'sev' press.
- Urad dal (split black lentils) can be used instead of moong dal for the above recipe.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.