Mohanthaal ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Mohanthaal ( Gujarati Recipe) in Hindi)
Added to 306 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 104377 times
Mohanthaal is another famous sweet from the gujarati repertoire. This sweet needs to be prepared with tact, as the one-thread sugar syrup is the foundation stone for the success of this recipe. If overdone, the dish loses its colour and taste. Also, the mava that imparts the softness to this sweet should be added after the besan is adequately browned.
- Combine the besan and ¼ cup of ghee in a bowl and mix well with your finger tips till the mixture is crumbly. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 cup of ghee in a kadhai, add the besan mixture and cook on a slow flame for 30 minutes or till the besan turns dark brown in colour. Keep stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the kadhai.
- Add the mava, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring continuously. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- In another non-stick pan, combine the sugar with just enough water (approx 1 cup) to immerse the sugar. Cook on a slow flame for approx 15 to 20 minutes to form a one-string consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the flame, add this sugar syrup to the besan mixture and keep stirring continuously till the mixture thickens to a dropping consistency (approx 10 to 15 minutes).
- Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and half the almond and pistachio slivers and mix well.
- Pour into a 200 mm. (8") diameter thali with 25 mm. (1”) height and spread the mixture evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining almond and pistachio slivers and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make square or diamond shape cut marks and keep aside till it cools completely.
- Cut into pieces and store in an air-tight container.
- You can start making the sugar syrup immediately after the besan has been cooked for 10 to 15 minutes.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per piece
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.