Mixed Dal Handvo ( Non- Fried Snacks )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 41 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 38644 times
Mixed dal handvo, the traditional Gujarati savoury cake made using a procedure that ensures perfection – you just can’t go wrong with this. It deserves to be a meal by itself when served with chutney or buttermilk as an accompaniment.
Readymade flour is available in the market, but try this version for experiencing the real flavour. Grated bottle gourd is nutritious while also imparting softness to the handvo – such that it is crisp outside but soft inside.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice and dals together in enough water for atleast 4 to 5 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Blend in a mixer till smooth, add the curds and mix well. Cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.
- Add the doodhi, oil, lemon juice, baking soda, sugar, chilli powder, turmeric powder, ginger-green chilli paste and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, carom seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Pour half the batter evenly to make a thick layer.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the base turns golden brown in colour and crisp.
- Lift the handvo gently using 2 large flat spoons and turn it over to the other side.
- Cover and cook on a slow flame for another 5 to 7 minutes or till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and cut into square pieces.
- Repeat to make 1 more handvo. Serve immediately.
- Mini handvo: for making mini handvas, divide the same mixture into 4 equal portions and pour each portion into small non-stick kadhai or a pan and spread it evenly to make a thin layer. Cover and cook on a slow flame til both sides turn golden brown in colour and crisp using 1 tsp oil. This allows m
- Baked handvo: you can also cook the handvo in an oven, simply pour the batter into a greased baking tray and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200ºc (400ºf) for 30 to 35 minutes till the crust is golden brown in colour.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||77.5 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||28.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.