Mirchi Ka Salan ( Hyderabadi Style)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 237 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 236632 times
The Hyderabadi Biryani experience is simply incomplete without the quintessential Mirchi ka Salan. Mirchi ka Salan is a curry of Bhavnagari chillies, flavoured with a rich paste of roasted peanuts, coconut, sesame seeds and red chillies.
The spicy paste gives you a delectable kick, while tamarind pulp packs the extra punch. The chillies are not all that spicy, so it complements the paste very well.
In every respect, this tongue-tickling curry is the perfect match for Hyderabadi Biryani – and definitely a must-try.
You can also have a go at other recipes like the Hyderabadi Sofiyani Biryani or Hyderabadi Baingan Subzi
- Combine the peanuts, 2 tsp of cumin seeds, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, dry kashmiri red chilli and coconut in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine the roasted ingredients, garlic, ginger and ¾ cup of water in a mixer and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Slit all the chillies lengthwise. Remove the seeds carefully using a small spoon and discard them.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the chillies and shallow fry them on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove the chillies and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the curry leaves and remaining cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared paste, tamarind pulp, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 17 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the chillies, mix well and cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.