Methia Keri, Gujarati Mango Pickle Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 396 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 77327 times
Come summer, it’s time to stock up on pickles! So, don’t lose this opportunity to add a jar of tongue-tickling Methia Keri to your larder. Made of raw mango and a special, freshly-mixed masala, this is one pickle that will jazz up any meal. However, never be in a hurry when preparing this pickle. Take time to complete each step properly. Ensure that the keri is dried properly in the sunlight or under the fan, or else it will become soft too soon after the pickle is prepared, and its shelf life will also reduce.
Likewise, make sure you keep the pickle in an airtight container at room temperature for two days, to allow the keri to soak in the oil and masalas, before you store it in the refrigerator. This traditional method is sure to yield you the best pickle ever!
This popular Gujarati pickle can be served as accompaniment to all Indian main course recipes. It also tastes great with khakhras , theplas and parathas .
- Combine the raw mango, sea salt and turmeric powder, mix well and cover with a lid and keep aside for 1 hour. Squeeze out all the excess water.
- Take a big flat round plate, put a muslin cloth on top and evenly spread the raw mango cubes on it and allow to dry under fan or sunlight for 1 hour. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small broad non-stick pan on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till it releases an aroma. Keep aside to cool.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the dried raw mango cubes to the prepared mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mustard oil over the raw mango mixture and mix well.
- Put in an air tight container and keep at room temperature for 2 days and then refrigerate.
Methia Keri Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.