Methi Toovar Dal, Healthy Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4547 times
Add more punch to the everyday toovar dal by teaming it up with tongue-tickling fenugreek leaves. Methi leaves have a very attractive flavour and aroma – its unique bitterness is actually pleasing to the palate and quite addictive!
Here, it perks up the flavour of toovar dal, along with other everyday ingredients like ginger, onions and a couple of spice powders.
This mouth-watering Methi Toovar Dal is also extremely healthy, brimming with nutrients like iron , zinc and protein . It is good for weight-watchers , diabetics and senior citizens too.
Serve it with plain phulkas , and your whole family will enjoy the nourishing meal.
- Combine the toovar dal, turmeric powder and 1½ cups of water in pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Mix the dal well with a spoon. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the garlic, ginger, green chilli and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, asafoetida, chilli powder, garam masala and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked dal, salt and 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.