Methi Papad ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 168 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53498 times
An unusual delicacy of fenugreek seeds cooked with papad in a sweet and spicy gravy. Methi seeds have excellent medicinal properties—amongst other benefits, they are iron-rich while also being a natural body coolant. Normally, only a few spoons of methi seeds are used in any recipe; hence the plentiful use of methi seeds makes this recipe extraordinary. This dish is also very tasty despite the bitterness. Enjoy hot, with rice and pickles.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in enough hot water for 30 minutes and drain well.
- Add enough water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Drain out the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add 1½ cups of water, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, jaggery and salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame till the water starts boiling.
- Add the fenugreek seeds and papad, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately with rotlis.
- To avoid the bitterness, you can replace the fenugreek seeds with ½ cup of chopped fenugreek leaves. Add the fenugreek leaves at step no. 4 when the seeds crackle and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes and continue as per the recipe.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||27 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.