by Tarla Dalal
Added to 56 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12311 times
Substitute dairy products with low fat versions and go easy on the oil for a healthy version of this classic Rajasthani specialty.
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for 6 to 8 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind the moong dal to a smooth paste without using any water.
- Add the asafoetida and ginger-green chili paste and mix well.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with plain nozzle and pipe out small dots on a greased thali.
- Keep the mangodis in the sun for 2 days or until the mangodis dry out completely.
- Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
- Add salt and ½ tsp turmeric powder to the fenugreek leaves and keep aside for 5 minutes. Squeeze out all the water and wash the fenugreek leaves very well. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and fry till the seeds crackle.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the mangodis and sauté for one minute.
- Add ¼ cup of water and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes over a slow flame sprinkling water if the mixture starts burning.
- Add the coriander powder, milk, curds, sugar, remaining ½ tsp of turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and bring to a boil while stirring continuously.
- Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or until the mangodis are soft and cooked.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.