Methi Mangodi ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10265 times
Mangodi dumplings are made from soaked and ground moong dal, and when served with methi bhaji curry, hot phulkas and a spicy mango pickle, it makes a true rajasthani fare.
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for 6 to 8 hours. .
- Drain and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste without adding water.
- Add the asafoetida and ginger-green chili paste and mix well.
- Put the mixture in a piping bag fitted with plain nozzle and pipe out small dots on a greased thali.
- Keep the mangodis in the sun for 2 days or until the mangodis dry out completely.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- Crush the mangodis lightly with hands and keep aside.
- Combine the fenugreek leaves, salt and ½ tsp of turmeric powder in a bowl and mix well. Keep for 5 minutes. Squeeze out the water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ginger-green chilli paste and crushed mangodi, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, mix well and sauté on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, milk, curds, sugar, remaining ½ tsp of turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and bring to boil while stirring continuously.
- Mangodis are soft and cooked.
- Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or until the mangodis are soft and cooked.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot with misi roti.
- If you don’t have a piping bag and nozzle, you can alternatively use your hands to shape the mangodis. These can be made well in advance and used to whip up a subzi when required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.