Matar Tamatar, Punjabi Green Peas and Tomato Curry
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 32 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20164 times
Soothing green peas and vibrant red tomatoes, what a striking combination that would be! Try this Matar Tamatar to discover the rich experience for yourself.
Cooked with classic spices and a creamy cashew paste, this is indeed a rich preparation fit to pamper your loved ones. Though a seemingly common addition to the curry, the onion-ginger paste plays an important role in enhancing the flavour and balancing the aroma of this dish.
When served with Parathas and other dishes like Paneer Amritsari , Dal Amritsari , Rice , Aam aur Chane ka Achaar , Boondi and Pomegranate Raita and Sweet Punjabi Lassi it makes a hearty meal.
- Combine the cashewnuts, curds and cardamom in a mixer and blend to make a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the prepared onion-ginger paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the dried fenugreek leaves, coriander powder, garam masala, salt, prepared cashewnut paste and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and ½ cup of water and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the green peas and tomatoes, a little salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.