Masoor and Tomato Biryani
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15323 times
A slightly elaborate procedure that involves preparation of a special paste, saffron-tinged rice and a masoor mixture, which are then arranged appropriately and baked till the flavours mingle and multiply to drape the rice with a magical aroma that is irresistible. Indeed, the Masoor and Tomato Biryani is an experience worth the effort.
- Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai, add the onions and deep-fry, till they turn golden brown in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Combine the fried onions, rice, salt and saffron-milk mixture in a deep bowl and toss gently. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the prepared paste and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the soaked and drained masoor, salt and 1½ cups of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the masoor is cooked, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Divide the rice into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Pour 1 tbsp of milk in a greased baking dish.
- Put 1 portion of rice in it and spread it evenly.
- Put the masoor mixture over it and spread it evenly.
- Put the 2nd portion of the rice over it and spread it evenly.
- Pour the remaining 1 tbsp of milk evenly over it.
- Cover with a lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or microwave on high for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.