Masala Bhaat (1 Tsp Oil)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11692 times
Masala Bhaat is a sumptuous meal of brown rice, perked up with sautéed veggies and an appetizing dry masala made of simple spices, readily available in your kitchen. A traditional recipe, minimal ingredients, a simple procedure and just a teaspoon of oil is all it takes to create this homely and satiating dish. Garnish with fresh coriander, and serve it with a cup of raita or plain low-fat curds. Had for lunch, this one-dish meal can keep you going energetically till tea-time!
- Combine the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves and peppercorns in a broad non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Remove from the flame and grind to a smooth powder using a mortar pestle (khalbatta). Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, rice, tendli, brinjal and green peas, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes
- Add 2 cups of hot water, salt, turmeric powder and dry spice powder, mix well and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.