Malvani Vatana Usal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53894 times
The Malvani region is a coastal region, which spans the Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts of Maharashtra. It is famous for its cuisine, shaped by the Konkan communities of Maharashtra, Goa and Karnataka.
The Malvani Vatana Usal is a classic dish from Malvani cuisine, where kala vatana is cooked with veggies like onions and tomatoes and flavoured with Malvani gravy.
The gravy is reddish brown and spicy with a lot of red chillies, and together with tamarind pulp and a traditional tempering it works wonders to boost the flavour of the cooked vatana.
Serve this hot with rice or rotis . Try other Maharashtrian recipes like Maharashtrian Pitla or Maharashtrian Kothimbir Vadi .
Add your private note
Malvani Vatana Usal recipe - How to make Malvani Vatana Usal
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 servings
- Combine the kala vatana and 1¼ cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared malvani gravy and tamarind pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the kalal vatana with the water, salt and more ¾ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.