Maharashtrian Papdi and Moong Dal Vadi Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 10 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 9735 times
This Maharashtrian Papdi and Moong Dal Vadi Subzi is a home-style recipe, but has an exotic feel about it because of the exciting mix of spices in it.
It is a traditional Vidharbi recipe that is best enjoyed with chapatis. An interesting combination of valor papdi and moong dal vadi is cooked with a tongue-tickling masala that combines a wide assortment of aromatic and flavour-packed seeds and spices.
It is interesting to note that the masala paste uses dry coconut (kopra) and not fresh coconut. This gives the subzi a unique flavour. Enjoy it hot and fresh with chapatis right off the tava.
Have a go at other traditional delicacies like Bharleli Vaangi and Cauliflower Greens Pitla .
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick kadai, add the fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, poppy seeds, sesame seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the red chillies and coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Cool slightly, and blend it in a mixer till smooth using ¼ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, deep fry a few moong dal vadi at a time on a slow flame till they turn golden brown and crisp. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- In the same oil, deep fry a few papdi at a time, on a medium flame till they turn light brown in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the chopped onions, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes. While stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared masala and kokum, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 minutes. While stirring occasionally.
- Add ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally or till the masala starts leaving oil.
- Add the fried papdi and moong dal vadi, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, garnished it with coriander leaves.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||259.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||7.5 mg|
|Folic Acid||7.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.