Low Fat Kulfi with Strawberry Coulis
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 44 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15726 times
Kulfi is a frozen dessert which all of us relish but which we often avoid it because of its high caloric value. Here is a simple but yummy low fat kulfi that doesn't take forever to prepare and provides substantial amounts of calcium without the fat. Enhance its appeal and vitamin C levels by serving it with a strawberry sauce and enjoy it with your family and loved ones.
- Soak the saffron in a little warm milk and keep aside.
- Dissolve the cornflour in 1 tablespoon of milk and keep aside.
- Dissolve the citric acid in 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Pour the milk in a broad non-stick pan and bring to a boil. Simmer over a medium flame, stirring continuously till the milk reduces to little more than half its original quantity (approx. 600 ml.).
- Add the citric acid solution and simmer for 2 minutes. The milk may curdle a bit but that is intended.
- Add the cornflour solution and sugar, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cool completely, add the saffron mixture and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Pour into a shallow container and cover and freeze till slushy.
- Remove and blend in a blender to break all the ice crystals till the kulfi is smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 6 kulfi moulds and freeze overnight until it sets.
- To unmould, allow the moulds to remain outside the refrigerator for 5 minutes and then unmould by inserting a wooden skewer, stick or a fork in the centre of the kulfi and pulling it out.
- Serve topped with the strawberry sauce.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kulfi
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.