by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 80% LIKED IT
4 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 35 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 65167 times
Oh, how versatile the humble lemon is, lending itself as beautifully to pickling candying, seasoning as to a variety of other uses.
Interestingly, most restaurants down south serve lime pickle along with the 'meals', as the lemon is easy to procure and pickle, as well as liked by almost everybody.
Also do try other South Indian pickles like Madras Onion Pickle Drumstick Pickle or Mango Pickle.
- Combine the fenugreek seeds and asafoetida in a small non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes , while stirring continuously.
- Transfer to a plate and cool completely , once cooled blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the lemons and boil on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes. Drain well.
- Cut the lemon into quarters. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder and chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the lemon pieces, salt, fenugreek-asafoetida mixture, mix well and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool it slightly, store in an air-tight container and use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.