Lemon Pickle ( South Indian Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 32 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 57721 times
Oh, how versatile the humble lemon is, lending itself as beautifully to pickling candying, seasoning as to a variety of other uses. Interestingly, most resaurants down south serve lime pickle along with the 'meals', as the lemon is easy to procure and pickle,as well as liked by almost everybody.
- Combine the fenugreek seeds and asafoetida in a small pan and dry roast on a medium flame in a small pan til they release flavour, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- When cool blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan, boil enough water, add the lemons and cook for 6 to 7 minutes or till they are cooked. Drain, cut into quarters and keep the lemons and water separately.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chilli powder, green chillies, ginger and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
- Add the lemon pieces, cooked water, salt and fenugreek and asafoetida mixture, mix well and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- When cool slightly ,store in an airtight container and use as required.
Nutrient values per jar
|Vitamin A||54 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.9 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B3||4.1 mg|
|Vitamin C||35.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.