by Tarla Dalal
Added to 214 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29624 times
Simple and sophisticated are two words that come to mind when one thinks of Lebanese cooking. Lebanon is where Arabian cuisine meets the Mediterranean providing the framework for an exotic cuisine that's loved the world over. This combination comprises of a bed of bean and spinach rice topped with a spicy vegetable curry along with falafel. Serve it with chilled yoghurt spiked with roasted cumin seeds to tone down this fiery sizzler.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic and green chilli and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the spinach, kidney beans and salt and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and cumin seed powder and toss well. Keep aside.
- Blend the tomatoes, chilli powder and garlic to a smooth pureé in a blender.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the spring onion whites and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the puréed tomatoes, cumin seed powder, tomato ketchup and salt and cook till the oil has separated from the sauce.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onion greens and mix well. Keep aside.
- Drain the Kabuli chana. Grind all the ingredients in a blender without using any water to make a coarse paste.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a flat patty.
- Deep fry the patties in hot oil over a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour.
- Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat 2 sizzler plates over an open flame till they are red hot. Then place them on their respective wooden trays.
- Arrange half of the bean and spinach rice on a hot sizzler plate.
- Pour half the vegetables in hot sauce over.
- Place 2 felafels on one side of the sizzler plate.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients on the other sizzler plate to make one more sizzler.
- Pour the oil-water mixture over the cast iron plates for a sizzling effect.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.