Layered Spinach and Tomato Rice
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 730 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 48462 times
A gourmet rice dish, which features layers of tomato gravy, rice and spinach gravy, cooked with a topping of cheese. This combination is a real winner, thanks to the interplay of flaovurs, colours and textures.
Ingredients like ginger, garlic and onions mask the raw flavour of spinach and transform the rustic puree into a richly flavoured sauce, which plays host to colourful and crunchy veggies; while the tomato gravy adds a wonderful tang and a little more spiciness to the arrangement. Cheese, of course, is a wonderful finishing touch that makes the Layered Spinach and Tomato Rice appeal to just about everybody!
Rice Delicacies like these make dinner time all the more inviting.
- Blend the spinach in a mixer to a smooth purée without using any water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the green-chillies, garlic paste and onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the puréed spinach and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots, cauliflower and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the paneer, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, pour the tomato gravy in a microwave safe bowl and spread it evenly.
- Spread the cooked rice evenly over it.
- Finally, spread the spinach gravy evenly over it.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over it and microwave on high for 2 minutes or till the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
- 5 cups of chopped spinach, when blanched and drained, gives 1¼ cups of chopped and blanched spinach.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||3425.2 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||-0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||-0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||44.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||90.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.