Lauki Kofta Curry ( Healthy Heart)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 178 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 331572 times
These koftas are prepared with lauki in a larger proportion, in comparison to potato, to minimize the caloric value of the dish. Also, koftas are not deep-fried, but are simmered and cooked in the curry itself. This makes a tasty combination with lachha soya paratha.
- Strain the liquid out of the bottle gourd and preserve it to add in the gravy.
- Combine all the ingredients in a non-stick pan and stir it over medium flame till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove and cool slightly. Divide this mixture into 14 equal portions and roll each portion into oval koftas. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and chilli powder and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved liquid of the bottle gourd and 1½ cups of water, mix well and bring to a boil, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the koftas, and garam masala, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with parathas or brown rice.
- The koftas tend to crumble if you boil them too much in the gravy. So, it's better to add them just before you're ready to serve them.
Lauki Kofta Curry (Healthy Heart Recipe) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.