Laksa Soup – Vegetarian Malaysian Coconut Curry Soup
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 58 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30221 times
Here is a chance for vegetarians to have a go at the Penang Laksa Soup, an ever-popular Malaysian delicacy.
Coconut milk and vegetable stock form the base of this tasty soup, which is flavoured with a tangy and spicy paste of tamarind, chillies, lemongrass and onions.
Chunky pieces of cottage cheese and crunchy bean sprouts add more josh to this perky soup, which is characterised by the rich taste of coconut milk and the fresh aroma of lemongrass.
We have toned down the spice levels to make the soup enjoyable for everybody. Pair the Laksa Soup with Malaysian Noodles and Creamed Corn Cake for a satiating oriental meal.
- Blend all the ingredients in a mixer to a smooth paste using 2 tablespoons of water. Keep aside.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the coconut milk and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok on a high flame, add the prepared paste and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and salt and bring to boil.
- Lower the flame, add the coconut milk-cornflour mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the paneer and bean sprouts and simmer for 2 more minutes. Do not overcook.
- To serve, put the boiled noodles into 4 individual bowls, pour hot soup on it and garnish with basil leaves.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.