Laal Math Dal Fry ( Know Your Green Leafy Vegetables )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 28 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30437 times
This wholesome recipe can be prepared with any or many dals as per you choice, such as masoor, tuvar, etc. Savour hot with rice and ghee.
- Clean, wash and soak the moong dal for ½ an hour.
- Drain, add the turmeric powder and 1½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, ginger, garlic and onions and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the amaranth leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the moong dal, asafoetida and salt, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring once in between. Serve hot garnished with deep- fried onions.
- To make crisp deep- fried onions,mix the sliced onions with 1\2 tsp of salt and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Squeeze the excess water from the onions gently and then deep-fry in hot oil. Drain on adsorbent paper and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.