Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4372 times
A traditional sweet Kozhakattai with authentic South Indian taste.The rice is ground into a coarse paste and then flattened as a ball which is filled with a sweet jaggery and coconut based filling.These steamed sweet kozhakattai are a favorite among all.
- This is recipe for sweet kozhakattai:
- Take 1 cup of rice and allow it to soak in 1.5 cups of water for 2.5 hrs.
- Then,grind it with the same water,( dont use extra water )into a watery paste.add salt to it.
- Take a cooker or a big vessel, add oil and heat it, then add this rice water into it and keep stirring till it becomes a solid consistency,keep it for sometime till it slowly changes color.once u feel it has been cooked, take it off the vessel.
- Take the required amt of jaggery(grated or very small pieces), about 1/2 a cup and heat it in a vessel till it melts.add freshly grated coconut according to taste along with cardamom powder and 3 spoons of ghee.mix it for sometime and keep it aside.
- Variation: if you do not have fresh coconut and do not want to use ghee, powdered coconut can be used with cooking oil and all you have to do is add some water to give moist consistency to filling.
- Rub your palms with oil and make small balls of the rice dough and flatten it, add the filling and close it up like a fan(similar to saamosi).
- Once u r done with everything, steam it in the cooker on idli trays without the weight on for about 5 mins after the steam comes.
- Your yummy sweet kolakattai is ready!!!
This recipe was contributed by draarthi on 11 Mar 2005
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.