Khubooli Layered Channa Dal Rice
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6489 times
You can add almonds, pistas for garnishing between the layers. .
Add your private note
Khubooli Layered Channa Dal Rice recipe - How to make Khubooli Layered Channa Dal Rice
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:    Total Time:
Makes 4 to 5 servings
- Clean, wash and pressure cook the chana dal in sufficient water till soft.
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan and add the cardamom, bay leaf and cloves and saute for few seconds.
- Add half the quantity of green chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the onions and saute till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for more 1 minute.
- Add curd and the remaining ingredients, except the rice and dal and mix well.
- Cook till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the chana dal and mix gently, taking care not to mash the dal and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another vessel, boil water, add the remaining mint leaves, coriander leaves, cardamoms and bay leaf and boil for few minutes.
- Add the salt and rice and allow to cook till it is 3/4 done.
- Take care that the rice is not fully cooked.
- Drain out the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in another pan and add 1/2 of the prepared gravy.
- Spread a layer of cooked rice on top evenly.
- Add 1-2 tsp of lemon juice and little ghee.
- Sprinkle the saffron water
- Continue this till all the gravy and rice is used up
- On the topmost layer, sprinke some coriander/mint leaves
- Wrap the lid in a thick clean cloth and place it on the vessel.
- Place a heavy weight on the lid and simmer for a while till the rice is completely cooked.
- Serve hot with curd raita.
This recipe was contributed by nuzshereen on 28 Jul 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.