Khichadi By mcgraff
This recipe has been viewed 3606 times
Khichadi is one of the most popular comforting foods in India prepared from a combination of rice and lentils. A lightly spiced main course recipe, khichadi can also be prepared with vegetables added to the rice lentil mixture. Enjoy with raita or butter milk.
Add your private note
Khichadi By mcgraff recipe - How to make Khichadi By mcgraff
Preparation Time: 45 MINUTES Cooking Time: 40 MINUTES Total Time:
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter or oil over moderate heat. when the foam subsides for the butter, add the cloves, peppercorns, black pepper powder and bay leaf add the onion and fry, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. continue sautéing, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent but not brown.
- Add the rice, moong daal, salt and turmeric. stir and toss the mixture gently. reduce the heat to moderately low and stir gently for a minute.
- Pour in the boiling water and stir once. cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice and moong daal are cooked and tender and all the water has been absorbed. remove the pan from the heat.
- Many people like to cook this in a pressure cooker or a rice cooker.
- Serve at once. garnish with 1 teaspoon of ghee and some fresh coriander leaves.
This recipe was contributed by MCGRAFF on 13 Oct 2001
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.