Khatti Meethi Papdi, Dhokli Subzi, Valor Papdi Subzi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 18 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 27826 times
An all-time favourite from the kitchens of Gujarat, the Khatti Meethi Papdi is a delicious subzi that combines besan dumplings and walor papdi with everyday spices.
Although it uses common ingredients, this valor Papdi Subzi has a unique texture and mind-blowing flavour because of the way it is cooked.
Marinating the papdi with the other ingredients for a few minutes enhances the flavour of the dish, as the spices mix well with the vegetable.
Besan dhoklis increase the appeal of the subzi further, but it is important to add these to the subzi only after the papdis are cooked. You must also take care to simmer the subzi till the dhoklis get cooked.
The mouth-watering subzi is also a nutritious wonder as papdi is rich in iron and helps increase haemoglobin count if consumed regularly.
Serve with Rotlis , Khatti Meethi Dal , Spicy Kachumber and Rice for a satiating oil-free meal.
- Combine all the ingredients along with 2 tbsp of water in a deep bowl, and whisk well to make a smooth batter. Keep aside.
- Combine the walor papdi, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, jaggery, asafoetida and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame, add the carom seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the walor papdi mixture and 1½ cups of water and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling batter into the papdi mixture using your hands at equal distance.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes so the dumplings turn firm and get cooked, while stirring once gently after 1 minute.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 81 cal|
|Protein|| 5.1 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 13.7 gm|
|Invisible Fat|| 0.6 gm|
|Fiber|| 6.9 gm|
|Iron|| 1.5 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.