Khatta Urad Dal ( Zero Oil Urad Dal Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 105 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 60427 times
A lip-smacking preparation of wholesome urad dal, perked up with calcium-rich curds and pungent ginger, garlic pastes.
Although it makes use of minimal ingredients, the Khatta Urad Dal has a distinct, tongue-tickling flavour that you are sure to relish.
The highlight of this recipe, as the name suggests, is its sourness, so make sure the curds are sour enough.
Serve the Khatta Urad Dal piping hot because cooked urad has a tendency to clump up when left to cool for too long.
Add loads of fresh, finely-chopped coriander as it imparts a wonderfully peppy tinge to this sumptuous and protein boosting dal.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the curds, 1½ cups of water, garlic paste, green chilli paste, salt and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Bring to boil and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot.
- This dal tends to thicken if kept for too long. So, if you have made it in advance, add little water to it and re-heat it before serving.
Khatta Urad Dal (Zero Oil Recipe) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.