by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 151 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 64365 times
- Wipe the rice and urad dal with a wet cloth, mix and grind dry coarsely (like semolina). Alternatively, soak the rice and urad dal overnight in plenty of water and grind in a mixer the next day.
- Add the sour curds and hot water and make into a thick paste.
- Leave to ferment for at least 6 to 7 hours.
- Make a paste of the green chillies and ginger.
- Now add to the batter the baking soda, oil, asafoetida, green chilli paste and salt and mix well.
- Apply a little oil to a metal thali (flat metal plate with low rim). Pour enough batter so as to fill half the height of the thali. This should ordinarily be about 1/2 teacup for a small thali.
- Sprinkle a little ground pepper on top.
- Steam for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve with raw oil and green chutney.
- Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break the lumps.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.