Khandvi, Gujarati Snack Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 716 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 455903 times
Khandvi is a popular snack amongst Gujaratis, especially the kids! Nobody can hide their love for this delicious savoury made of gram flour and curds, tempered with mustard seeds.
At the same time, none can deny that it is a difficult item to prepare! Be patient, and remember to cook the paste slowly and completely till thick. Also, take care to roll the khandvi lightly; and temper well.
Have a go at other popular Gujarati farsans like Dakor Na Gota , Nylon Khaman Dhokla and Patra .
- Grease 3 thalis (10” diameter each) very lightly with oil on both the sides and keep aside.
- Combine the curds and 1½ cups of water in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Combine the besan, curds-water mixture, lemon juice, ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt in a deep non-stick pan and mix well to make a smooth batter, taking care that no lumps remain.
- Cook on a slow flame, while stirring continuously till it becomes thick (approx. 8 to 10 minutes).
- Spread a spoonful of the batter on a greased thali and wait for a few seconds and try to roll up. If it doesn’t, then cook for a few more minutes, and check once more till done.
- While it is still hot, pour little portions of the mixture on the insides of 3 greased thalis and quickly spread the mixture in a circular motion into a thin layer using a vati.
- Turn all the 3 thalis and spread the remaining mixture on their back sides as in step 6.
- When cool roll them up tightly.
- Cut each khandvi roll into 6 equal pieces and keep them on a serving plate.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the khandvis.
- Serve immediately garnished with coconut and coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.