by Janani G Vikram
Added to 4 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 7180 times
Keerai masiyal is a traditional vegetable recipe with the amaranth leaves cooked with onions, green gram dhal and spice powders. Season with mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- In a deep pan, cook the amaranth leaves, onions and moong dal with just enough water and a pinch of sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and asafoetida and cook till the dal becomes soft, while stirring continuously, adding water if the mixture becomes dry.
- Mash the cooked amaranth leaves using a back of spoon and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal and saute till it starts becoming red.
- Add the red chillies and saute for 10 seconds.
- Add the mashed mixture and remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was contributed by Janani G Vikram on 27 Sep 2011I am a technically-qualified freelance writer, editor and hands-on mom based in Bengaluru. I write o...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.